The history and legend of Bluenose and Bluenose II are carved into Canada’s maritime heritage.
The original Bluenose was built in Lunenburg’s legendary Smith and Rhuland Shipyard to compete for the International Fisherman’s Trophy. In October 1921, the Bluenose won her first race and for the next 17 years, she defeated all contenders. In 1928, the Bluenose defeated the Thebaud in the final race series and was named Queen of the North Atlantic fishing fleet. The Bluenose had become the pride of Nova Scotians and in 1937, the Canadian dime was changed to include an image of the mighty ship.
In 1942, despite the efforts of Bluenose Master, Captain Angus J. Walters and others to keep the ship in Nova Scotia, the vessel was sold to the West Indian Trading Company. Four years later the Bluenose struck a Haitian reef and sank.
In 1963, the Bluenose II was built from identical plans as the Bluenose. She was built in the same shipyard of Smith and Rhuland by some of the same men who had constructed her mother before her.
Bluenose II was sold to the government of Nova Scotia for $1 in 1971 by the Oland family of Halifax and has served as Nova Scotia’s sailing ambassador ever since.
The Bluenose II is a great ship to visit in Lunenberg’s Harbour area, where you can go to the docks and board the vessel!
The small town of Lunenberg is great in charm. Buildings are painted in bright colours with narrow side streets. Houses with widow look outs and amazing little shops line the harbour.
Lunenberg is a great place to check out! And only a little way down from the Little yellow cottage making it a great day trip!